Rena Annie Eastham
Obituary: BURNESS Rena Annie 1916 - 2004 Rena was born in Vancouver, B.C. on August 8, 1916 and passed away in her home on April 28, 2004. Her parents were Charles Stanley and Florence Eastham. She is survived by her sister Doris Galbraith, her brother-in-law, G.H. Curly Galbraith, and their children, Sharon of Seattle, Stan of Edmonton, Roger of Calgary and Brian of Barrie, Ont. She attended St. Mary's High School in Calgary and upon graduation went to Minneapolis to train as a Laboratory Technician. She pursued this career in Eau Claire, Wisconsin, where she met and married Ira Mjelde. Upon his death she returned to Calgary. She worked several years for Canadian Superior Oil Ltd. in Calgary. In 1956 she married John Burness, proprietor of Burness Hardware. Upon his retirement they moved to Vancouver where they spent seventeen happy years. They returned to Calgary in 1994 to be near their family. John passed away on December 25, 2001. Rena has been a life-long member of First Baptist Church and was a devout Christian. Her greatest pleasure was in assisting and caring for others. A Memorial Service will be held at First Baptist Church, 13 Avenue and 4 Street West at 11:00 a.m. on Monday, May 17. In lieu of flowers it is suggested that donations be made to Operation Eyesight Universal, 4 Parkdale Crescent N.W., Calgary, T2N 3T8.1
- Calgary Herald, Calgary, Alberta.
- Personal knowledge of Gordon Lennox Burness.
John Burness (age 9) was enumerated in the census on 6 June 1841 in Mulloch, Banchory-Ternan, Kincardineshire, Scotland, in the household of John Masson. He was an agricultural labourer.4 John Burness (servant, age 19) was enumerated in the census on 31 March 1851 in Eslie, Banchory-Ternan, Kincardineshire, Scotland, in the household of John Mason. He was an agricultural labourer.5
John Burness was enumerated in the census on 8 April 1861 in Banchory, Kincardineshire, Scotland, as a saddler, age 27, lodging in household of Isabella Malcolm, widow of crofter.6
John Burness was enumerated in the census on 3 April 1871 in Walnut Cottage, Chapelbrae, Banchory, Kincardineshire, Scotland, as a saddler, age 39, employing one boy with Christian Burness, Jessie Burness and Jane Burness in his household. His house had three rooms with windows.7
John Burness was enumerated in the census on 4 April 1881 in Lilac Bank Cottage, Bath Street, Banchory, Kincardineshire, Scotland, as a master saddler, age 49, employing one boy with Christian Burness, John Masson Burness, Jessie Burness, Jane Burness and Ann Gordon Burness in his household.8
John Burness was enumerated in the census on 5 April 1891 in 18 Forteath Street, Elgin, Moray, Scotland, as a saddler, age 59, working on own account with Christina G. Burness and Ann G. Burness in his household. His house had five rooms with windows. There were two lodgers: Isabella Clark, dressmaker age 23, and Jessie Fraser, milliner age 21.9
John Burness was enumerated in the census on 31 March 1901 in Hall Place, Elgin, Moray, Scotland, as a saddler, age 69 with Christina G. Burness in his household.10
John Burness was enumerated in the census on 2 April 1911 in Crossroads, Grange, Banffshire, Scotland, as a retired saddler, age 79, with Christian Burness in his household.11
He made a will on 16 February 1923 leaving his estate (later valued at 1447 pounds, 11 shillings, 9 pence) as follows: monies on deposit at North of Scotland Bank (about 202 pounds) to be used to pay all debts and "whatever is left over of these monies to be divided equally among all my grandchildren"; and for balance of estate: "one hundred pounds sterling to my daughter Jessie Burness or Clark and one hundred pounds sterling to my daughter Annie Gordon Burness or Henderson. I have already given more than one hundred pounds sterling to my son John Masson Burness. After these two legacies are paid that the residue be equally divided amongst my three surviving children".12
Children of John Burness and Christian Gordon
- Margaret Burness13,2 b. 23 May 1864, d. 9 Feb 1865
- Nicholson Burness13,2 b. 4 Dec 1865, d. 27 Sep 1867
- Jessie Burness+13,3,2,7,8 b. 4 Dec 1867, d. 17 Dec 1943
- Jane Gordon Burness+13,14,15,7,8 b. 25 Aug 1869, d. 17 Nov 1921
- John Masson Burness+13,3,16,8 b. 25 Jun 1871, d. 14 Mar 1948
- Alexander William Burness13,2 b. 22 Apr 1873, d. 12 Sep 1878
- Nicholson Allan Burness13,2 b. 22 Apr 1873, d. 6 Jun 1873
- Ann Gordon Burness13,3,2,8,9 b. 14 Apr 1875, d. 24 Dec 1950
- Andrew Jamieson Burness13,2 b. 5 Mar 1877, d. 9 Jan 1880
- Christian Burness13,2 b. 29 Oct 1878, d. 3 Jan 1880
- OPR Banchory-Ternan.
- Death Registration, General Register Office for Scotland.
- Marriage Registration, General Register Office for Scotland.
- 1841 Scottish Census, Kincardineshire.
- 1851 Scottish Census, Kincardineshire.
- 1861 Scottish Census, Kincardineshire.
- 1871 Scottish Census, Kincardineshire.
- 1881 Scottish Census, Kincardineshire.
- 1891 Scottish Census, Moray.
- 1901 Scottish Census, Moray.
- 1911 Scottish Census, Banffshire.
- Will of John Burness.
- Birth Registration, General Register Office for Scotland.
- Marriage Registrstion, New York City Municipal Archives.
- Death Certificate, New Jersey State Archives.
- Death Registration, Saskatchewan Health Department, Vital Statistics Office.